The top-ranked Hobart College hockey team scored four unanswered goals as it rallied to defeat Castleton, 4-1, in a New England Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler Friday evening. With the win, the Statesmen are 9-0-0 overall this season with a 5-0-0 mark in conference play.
Ignat Belov (2g) and Kahlil Fontana (2a) finished tonight’s contest with a game-high two points each. Mavrick Goyer started in goal and made 16 saves as he earned his fifth win of the season. Brandon Collett made a season-high 51 saves in the loss for the Spartans (3-7-0, 2-3-0).
- Hobart finished the game with a 55-17 advantage in shots.
- The Statesmen were 1-for-4 on the power play and Castleton was 0-for-2.
- With the win, Hobart has won nine straight games to start the year and is off to its best start in program history.
- The Statesmen’s previous record to start the year was eight in 2007-08.
- Hobart’s nine straight victories match the second-longest winning streak in program history.
- In a tightly contested first period, Hobart had an 11-8 advantage in shots on goal in the opening frame.
- Shane Shell nearly opened the scoring just before the midway point of the period. On a breakaway, he snapped a shot from the low slot over the crossbar.
- Thirty seconds later, Castleton broke the deadlock. Brandon Picard ripped a shot into the upper left corner of the cage for his third goal of the season. Andrew Stefura was awarded an assist on the goal after forcing a turnover at his blueline.
- With five minutes left in the frame, Matthieu Wuth ripped a shot off of the goalpost.
- Hobart flipped the game in its favor in the middle frame, outshooting the Spartans 27-6.
- First-year Ignat Belov tied the game with his fourth goal of the season. He Chipped a shot from the right circle past Collett. Kahlil Fontana and Christian Duvall were awarded assists on the goal.
- Belov scored the game-winning goal just over six minutes into the final period. He picked up a rebound and flipped the shot into the back of the net. Tanner Hartman and Kahlil Fontana notched assists on the goal.
- Matthew Iasenza gave Hobart a two-goal lead with his fourth tally of the season. He picked up a rebound and one-timed a shot past Collett. Artem Buzoverya and Zach Tyson were credited with assists on the power-play goal.
- Luke Aquaro rounded out the scoring with just over four minutes remaining in the game. His ninth goal of the season was assisted by Shell and Jonah Alexander.
Hobart will be back in action Saturday, December 3, when it welcomes Skidmore to The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.